The SSA indicates that they approve approximately 35% of initial applications for SSD and SSI benefits. That means you have a 35% chance of winning your claim just by filing your application. If you are one of the lucky ones who get approved, you do not need a representative’s help. If however, you are one of the 65% of people whose application for benefits is denied, then you are faced with filing an appeal. Only 10% of people who file appeals win at the next level. With that said, our advice is that if you are denied, you better know how to file a stellar appeal. Going through the appeals process requires a great deal of time and effort in preparing evidence and appeals. It may also mean going to a hearing before a judge. Being represented by a reputable firm means that you are not trying to file appeals, gather evidence, do research and prepare for a hearing on your own.